BIRANCHI NARAYAN

Introduction

&

Attraction

Buguda is a small town in Ghumusar Sub-Division of Ganjam district. It is famous for the temple of Biranchinarayan. The temple was built by king Srikara Bhanja who ascended the throne of Ghumusar in 1790 A.D. The image of God Biranchinarayan which is installed in the sanctum of the temple was recovered from the ruins of Malatigarh. About the finding of the status Sewell in his Ghumusar Report has stated that once a heredboy, while tending cattle, struck his foot against a plate of metal at the foot of the hill. Consequently the villagers dug up the portion and unearthed a lifesize image of Suryanarayan which was carried to Buguda where it was consecrated in a new temple. The temple subsequently came to be known as Biranchinarayan. The temple is built in the form of a chariot driven by seven horses. The temple is conspicuous for its remarkable wood carvings and wall paintings. The wood carvings are noticed on the ceiling of the Mandap and on the jambs of the entrance door way as well. At the other end of the main road facing the temple of Biranchinarayan is a temple dedicated to Lord Jagannath. The temple is built in such a manner that the devotees can see the arati of both the temples at the same time from any of these two places

Approach

 

Rail

Nearest major Railway Station is at Berhampur        

Road

 

Accommodation Facilities

This place has been provided with only one P.W.D. Inspection Bungalow. Better accommodation facilities can be availed at Aska- 30 kms and Berhampur- 70 kms.

Fairs & Festivals

Maghasaptami, Samba Dashami, Rath yatra, Danda Yatra (April), Durga Puja and Kalipuja

Distance from

 

Dist.Headquarters

92 kms.

State Capital

180 kms.