- Crop Planning for both Kharif and Rabi Seasons for the District.
- Irrigation Source-wise Crop Planning.
- Facilitating Credit to the farmers.
- Planning for Fertiliser supply and enforcement.
- Facilitating Seed supply and enforcement.
- Collection of information on crop achievement.
- Transfer of technical know hows to the farmers.
- Conducting different demonstration programmes.
- Conducting Capacity Building programme of farmers.
- Monitoring pest situations and its control thereof.
- Recording and maintaining yield of different crops.
- Implementation of different plan schemes.
- Keeping liaison with other agriculture allied departments/sectors.
- To increase the both production and productivity of different crops in a sustainable manner.
- To promote organic farming.
Agriculture Scenario of the District:
Ganjam is an Agriculture based district. More than 80% people depend on Agriculture. At present it is extending from 19.40 North to 20.170 North Latitude and 84.70 East to 85.120 East Longitude spreading over the geographical area of 8070.60 Sq. Km.(8,21,000 ha.). There are 3 nos. of Sub-divisions, 22 nos. of blocks, 475 nos. of GPs, 17 urban bodies, 3212 villages,6 nos. of DAO circle, 44 nos. of AAO circle, 275 nos. of VAW circles,44 nos. of Agriculture sale centres. It is broadly divided into 2 Agro climatic zones.
- East and South eastern costal plains-:- It covers Chatrapur Sub-Divisions and Eastern parts of Berhampur .
- North eastern ghat hill regions:- It covers Bhanjanagar Sub-Division and Western parts of Berhampur .
The forest area is 3,15,000 ha(38.36%) and cultivable area is 4,34,000 ha.(52.86%) where as cultivated area is 4,06,000 ha. Out of which high land is 47%, medium land is 28% and low land is 25%.Paddy is grown in an area of 2,23,500 ha. and rest of the area is covered with non-paddy crops like Maize, Ragi, Pulses (Moong, Biri, Arhar, Field Pea),Oil seed (Sesamum, Groundnut), Vegetables ,Sugarcane, Cotton and Spices like chilli etc. The Rushikulya major irrigation project alongwith 9 nos. of Medium Irrigation Projects, 977 nos. of Minor Project, 708 Lift irrigation project which irrigate 2,51,468 ha. during Kharif season and 48,220 ha. during Rabi season. Total irrigation area is near about 61.12% in Kharif and 11.73% during Rabi season.
This district is having 3,31,256 Farm families (2001 census), out of which Marginal Farmer 69%,Small Farmer19.8% and rest 11.2% are Large Farmers and 5,04,806 nos. of Agricultural labourers.
Ganjam soil consists of Sandy Loam, Loam Costal alluvium and Saline soil in few patches in costal plains in eastern parts. Where as in North Eastern ghats have brown and forest soils with loamy, clay loam type of soils.The average rainfall in Ganjam district is about 1275mm and 64.2 nos. of rainy days.
|Sl.||Information Particular||Ganjam District|
|1||Geographical Area (ha)||8,21,000|
|2||Forest area (ha)||3,15,000|
|3||Permanent Pasture (ha)||20,000|
|4||Misc. Trees and Grooves (ha)||22,000|
|5||Culturable Waste (ha)||11,000|
|6||Land put to Non-Agril. use (ha)||21,000|
|7||Barren and Uncultable waste (ha)||20,000|
|8||Current Fallow (Ha)||3,000|
|9||Other Fallow (ha)||11,000|
|10||Net Area sown (ha)||3,98,000|
|11||Cultivable Area (ha)||4,34,000|
|13||Paddy area (Ha.)||2,23,500|
|14||No. of Blocks||22|
|15||No. of DAOs Circle||6|
|16||No. of AAOs Circle||22|
|17||No. of AOs||47|
|18||No. of VAW/LVAW Circle||276|
|19||No. of Sale Centres||44|
|20||No. of Govt. Farms||4|
|21||No. of Farm Families||3,31,256|
|22||Irrigation Potential (ha)|
|23||No. of Cultivators||3,22,660|
|24||No. of Agril Labourers||5,04,806|
|25||Normal Rain Fall in mm||1275.2|
|26||Average size of operational holding (1.3 ha) state||0.98|
Sandy loam, Loam, Clay loam, Clay are major soil types of Ganjam district.
Farms, Horticulture Units:
A. Departmental Farm:
- Seed Production Farm, Golanthara (Rangeilunda)
- Seed Production Farm- Bhanjanagar
- Seed Production Farm- J.N.Prasad
- Seed Production Farm- Dhanei (Polosara)
B. (OSSC Ltd):
Seed Production Farm – Babanpur (Aska)
Grievance Hearing: Every Saturday, except Holidays. Telephone no. of the authority: 09437579780(Mob), 0680-2290239 (Off.)
Address of head of the office:
Deputy Director of Agriculture, Ganjam Range
At: Baidyanathnagar, P.O./ Via: Brahmapur-760010, Ganjam district, Odisha, India
Tel.: 0680-2290239, 2292811, 09437579780